We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Basil is an essential spice that complements any dish. Therefore, housewives love to add it to food or even consume it separately.
On the market, this herb is quite expensive, but why spend extra money if you can grow basil yourself. However, it needs special care, which includes feeding.
In the article we will tell you how to choose the right fertilizer for this spice or make it yourself, as well as how, in fact, to feed the plant.
The importance of feeding
Top dressing - the introduction of various mineral and organic substances for the harmonious growth and development of the plant. Properly selected top dressing will protect plants from diseases, will help the leaves and stems to develop more actively (you can find out more about why the basil did not sprout, it is bad to grow, what to do, you can here).
If you exclude top dressing from the life of basil, especially that contained at home, it will begin to fade and wither faster. The leaves will lose their elasticity and crunchiness, the stems will not have enough strength to hold the layer on weight, the lack of potassium and nitrogen (minerals) may affect the taste.
When to fertilize?
Once the basil is planted in a suitable soil for it, you need to feed the plant. Top dressing is done 12 days after the seeds hit the ground.
Then the action must be repeated every month to achieve the desired results. You should not wait for the deterioration of the condition of the plant in order to apply top dressing. To avoid problems, basil needs to be "fed" regularly.
What can be fertilized for growing in the garden in the open field?
Two weeks after planting, the basil can be fed with nitrogen fertilizers.... In addition to them, phosphate fertilizers should be used, which strengthen the root system, therefore, giving the plant resistance.
Fertilizers with potassium increase the density of the basil leaves and strengthen the stems.
Important! Nitrogen fertilizers stimulate plant growth.
Buying ready-mix: which one to choose?
There are many different companies that provide quality plant fertilizer, but only a few are suitable for basil.
- YORKEY... It serves to strengthen the leaves of the plant, increase the growth rate and development of the root system. It is able to prevent plant diseases and even get rid of it (how to protect basil from diseases and pests?).
- POKON... Fertilizer stimulates the growth of basil and improves the conductivity of the stems - natural, nutrients will enter the plant at a faster rate.
- SOYUZKHIM... Protects plants from external, harmful influences and promotes harmonious growth.
When buying fertilizer, you should pay attention to the composition and purpose.... The composition should contain only minerals and nothing more, no experimental chemicals that can only harm.
On the packaging of each fertilizer it is written what it is for. Means for conifers, citrus or seedlings. You need to carefully read this aspect and choose exactly the type that is suitable for the basil (seedlings, spices, etc.).
Average cost of the presented fertilizers in St. Petersburg and Moscow:
|YORKEY||84 rbl.||79 RUB|
|POKON||RUB 590||598 r|
|SOYUZKHIM||115 RUB||RUB 110|
How to make purchases?
The instructions for use are detailed on the packaging of each fertilizer.
Steps required for feeding basil:
- Measure out the required amount of fertilizer (often a measuring spoon is included in the kit). On the open ground, 30-40 grams are needed.
- Spread the granules evenly around the plant.
- Mix the granules with the soil.
Such a simple sequence of actions will provide the plants with an improvement in their condition.
How to cook and use yourself?
There are many materials for making fertilizers. The main ones are:
- fruit and vegetable waste, excluding citrus fruits.
Rules for the preparation of egg shell fertilizer:
- Pour the shells with settled or melt water in a container with a volume of 3 liters or more.
- Defend the resulting mixture for 3 days.
- Drain the liquid and refill with new water. Repeat this action 2 times.
- Dry the shells and crush until granules.
- Sprinkle soil next to the plant.
Rules for the preparation of fertilizer from waste:
- Place the wire rack on the bucket.
- Insert a garbage bag into the bin, the bottom of which is punctured in several places.
- Fill the bucket with cleansers.
- After filling the bucket, release all the air and press down with something heavy.
- You need to water the plant with the liquid flowing down to the bottom (read about how to properly water basil in the open field and at home, read here).
Important! For fertilization from cleaning, a solution is needed - 1 teaspoon of liquid per 3 liters of water.
Features of using top dressing at home when growing on a windowsill and balcony
The main difference between feeding at home is the fact that in the apartment the climatic factor affects the plants to a lesser extent... In spring and summer, all plants need active feeding. In winter and spring, things are a little more complicated:
- if the basil enters the stage of complete rest, then it does not require feeding at all;
- if he falls "signs of life", then you should only reduce the amount of feeding by one and a half to two times.
The rest of the process is identical with top dressing in the open field. It makes no difference whether the basil is grown on a balcony or a windowsill. The feeding process is identical.
Growing basil is absolutely not difficult. Even an inexperienced amateur gardener can cope with this task. On our site you will find articles on how to properly plant, transplant and pinch a spice.
Is it possible not to apply?
It is not recommended to do this if there is a desire to grow a quality product, which will subsequently bring only a positive result. Basil will grow much more slowly in the absence of auxiliary nutrients.and its leaves may become less crunchy and more puffy.
The plant can get sick and "die", leaving the owner without a crop. Carefully choose the fertilizer for feeding the basil and follow the instructions, then the harvest will delight not only the eye, but also your table!