We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Dill is considered one of the most popular spices, which cannot always be found fresh on store shelves.
To provide yourself and your family with this spicy crop throughout the year, you can grow dill on the windowsill at home.
Before you start sowing a crop, you should familiarize yourself with the nuances of such a process. It is about him that we will tell in more detail later in the article.
Pros and cons of growing greenery at home in an apartment
The indisputable advantage of growing dill on a windowsill is the ability to feast on this spicy crop for a long time. At the same time, the plants are always at home at hand. The process of cultivating a crop at home does not depend on weather conditions and the time of year, it is possible to create the required climate yourself.
As for the disadvantages, the culture requires some care, especially in the winter. You will need to create good lighting conditions using fluorescent lamps. Otherwise, growing dill is quite simple, using the recommendations below.
What are the best varieties to sow?
The first thing to do when wanting to grow dill on the windowsill is to choose the right variety. There are no specific varieties sectioned specifically for growing at home. The main difference between dill varieties is the duration of the ripening of the spice.
There are the following varieties of varieties:
- early maturing;
Varieties of early species in a short time form a green mass and quickly give flower stalks. The foliage of such plants does not grow lush, which is why you should not grow such varieties of dill at home. They will quickly begin to form seeds.
Is it possible to sow late varieties of dill and how long will they ripen? As for the late-ripening varieties, this is an ideal option for planting in a pot at home. The culture of late varieties does not have time to ripen over the summer and gives a good green mass for a long time.
A list of late-ripening varieties that should be preferred for sowing seeds in a pot at home:
On the recommendation of amateur gardeners who grow such a seasoning at home, you can choose an early ripe variety, suitable:
- or mid-season Richelieu.
How to plant?
Sowing seeds in a pot involves several preparatory measures.
Before sowing, you will need:
- decide on the capacity for the plant;
- purchase or prepare soil;
- decide on a place for a spicy plant;
- prepare seed.
Each of the stages of preparation requires compliance with certain conditions and recommendations.
Flower pots with a volume of up to 2 liters are suitable for sowing dill... If you intend to sow a large number of plants, then you can use ordinary wood boxes. It is important that special drainage holes are made in the selected container. It is required to select a suitable pallet for the container.
There are no special requirements for a dill pot. The only thing worth focusing on is the convenience of placing plants on the windowsill. You can use peat pots for sowing seeds, and then transfer them to a pot for further cultivation.
It is imperative to provide for a 2 cm drainage layer at the bottom of the selected container or flower pot. To do this, use ordinary expanded clay. If it is not possible to use expanded clay, then ordinary sand will do.
If you do not want to prepare the soil yourself, then you can buy ready-made in the store and mix it in a 1: 1 ratio with garden soil or use pure commercially available soil. Preparing the soil yourself, you need to mix garden soil, peat, humus and universal soil in equal quantities.
Dill is considered a crop of long daylight hours, so it is recommended to choose the lightest window for plant growth. It is best to place the cultivated spice pots on the southeast or south side of the house. It is not forbidden to grow dill in the room, but additional measures will need to be taken to fill the lack of light. In any case, it is important to choose the brightest spot for the plant.
Before sowing, it is recommended to prepare the seeds... Preparatory activities are as follows:
- The required amount of inoculum is placed in a gauze piece of tissue or bandage and immersed in warm water for 1-2 days.
- A solution of pale pink potassium permanganate is prepared and the seeds are immersed in liquid for 15-20 minutes, after which they are washed with water.
- Additionally, you can carry out the processing of the seed and use a growth stimulator, for example, Epin. Dilute the product according to the instructions and leave the seeds in the solution for 3-4 hours.
Then you can immediately sow dill in a flower pot or other container in which it will grow on the windowsill of the house.
The most suitable time for sowing dill is March-August, however, given that at home the temperature is generally always constant and subject to adjustment, you can sow seeds at any convenient time. The only thing that should be foreseen is the possibility of creating optimal conditions for the growth of culture.
Step-by-step planting procedure
Sowing seeds is carried out in accordance with the following algorithm of actions: Prepared soil is poured into the selected container and poured abundantly with water, but the soil is not waterlogged.
- If the container is long and allows you to sow several plants, then grooves are made in it, up to 1 cm deep.
- The seeds are placed in such a way that the distance between them is kept 10-15 cm. If the dill is grown in separate pots, then 1-2 seeds are enough for one container.
- After distributing the seeds in the soil, they are covered with a small amount of earth and covered with foil. Leave the pots in a warm, lighted place.
- After the first shoots appear (about 11-14 days of sowing), the film is removed and the pots are placed in a permanent place of growth.
How much grows at home?
If the culture is provided with proper care, the required amount of light and heat, then the first foliage can be cut off after 1.5 months.
Many dill are grown at home, including on the balcony. You can find out about the intricacies of the process on our website.
How to take care of it properly?
Caring for the plant, you will need to perform the following activities:
- Watering the soil... You need to water the plant, focusing on the condition of the soil. Watering should be carried out after the soil is almost completely dry. In no case should waterlogging of the soil be allowed, as well as its complete drying.
- Top dressing... Fertilization is carried out once every 6 weeks. At the same time, the amount of fertilizer is the same throughout the growth of the crop. Mineral fertilizers intended for vegetable crops are used for feeding. They need to be bred in accordance with the instructions for the purchased product.
- Temperature for dill should not exceed 20 degrees. If the temperature regime exceeds the specified one, then you need to take care of the maximum increase in daylight hours and spray the plants with water daily.
Additionally, you need to periodically turn the pot 180 degrees. This can be done daily. Such an event will allow the plant to stretch upward, and not grow towards the light. As for additional lighting, it is required only in winter.
Features of winter care
Additional lighting is required in winter. in the process of culture growth. Install lamps at a height of 60 cm above the crop. If dill is grown on a windowsill, you need to turn on the light for the plant for 5 hours. If the dill grows directly in the room, then additional lighting is required over a 15 hour period.
It is necessary to collect a spicy crop by the method of thinning in such a way that 5 cm remains between the plants.Over time and further harvesting, the distance between the plants should reach 10 cm (if the crop was grown without observing the technology). If the dill is initially located at a distance of 10-15 cm, then you need to harvest by cutting off the branches from the plant. Harvesting is carried out as the plant grows.
Dill grows quickly enough, especially if you adhere to the cultivation technology and provide the culture with dignified care. As the plant grows and harvests, new seeds can be sown, thus ensuring the growth of the dill throughout the year.
We offer you to watch a video on how to grow dill on a windowsill: