We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
When shoppers come to a flower shop to buy an orchid, they choose a beautiful, strong plant.
But sometimes it happens that a blooming orchid purchased in a store begins to wither at home.
This article will help you understand the reasons for this change and learn how to properly care for phalaenopsis after purchase.
Differences in content after purchase
In stores, phalaenopsis are grown in special conditions. The main task of the sellers in the flower shop is to sell the orchid. For this, the plant must have a presentable appearance:
- large size;
- fat saturated leaves;
- and also with flowers.
To achieve this effect, store employees feed the plant with special complexes, and also plant sphagnum on moss. In some cases, sellers go for a trick: blue phalaenopsis turns out to be dyed.
Reference. It is recommended to acquire a culture in a transparent plastic flowerpot, not a ceramic one.
In addition, often phalaenopsis in the store does not have access to natural light, so the light is provided by phytolamps. The humidity and temperature in the stores are at an optimal level. But at home, achieving ideal performance may not be immediate.
Adaptation period in a store-bought pot
So, after the phalaenopsis has changed its habitat from the store to your home, it begins a difficult period of adaptation. Even such trifles as a change in temperature or humidity by several points can cause stress in the plant. The process of adaptation is called adaptation.
Most often, the flow of this process scares florists. After all, the plant sheds flowers and buds, as well as foliage. Sometimes yellow spots may appear on the leaf plates. There is no need to panic. These are normal orchid responses to changes in habitat conditions.
At this time, the most important thing is to help the culture cope with stress. To do this, the flower is quarantined away from other plants. Usually adaptation takes three weeks.
Phalaenopsis orchid requires special care at home after purchase. The primary actions of the grower:
- Examine the plant for infestations and pests. If it seems to you that phalaenopsis is sick with something, you should not rush to start treatment. Watch it for 10-15 days. If the culture does not get stronger, then proceed to the destruction of diseases.
- Examine the bark. Often, a plaque appears on its top layer, which poses a danger to the flower. Therefore, the infected part must be removed.
- Check if there are drainage holes in the pot and if there are enough of them. If there are no holes or there are few of them, do it yourself. To do this, use a hot nail. It will help you make holes effortlessly.
Attention! Before buying, decide on a place for phalaenopsis. After purchasing, put it in this place and try not to move it any more.
But what should not be done immediately after purchase is to moisten the soil and feed it. Watering is carried out no more than once every 7 days, and it is better to postpone feeding until the end of the adaptation period.
Also, flower growers do not recommend cutting off the leaves that have turned yellow or have lost their turgor. As soon as the phalaenopsis gets used to the new conditions, the leaf plates will either recover or disappear, but after giving the plant strength.
Indoor flower transplant
On this occasion, disputes between flower growers do not fade away to this day. Here are some facts about the benefits of transplantation and its necessity.:
- The soil may be wrong. Then the plant will not have enough moisture and air.
- Sometimes in stores, orchids grow in ceramic pots that have no drainage holes. In addition, in such flowerpots it is difficult to control the degree of soil drying.
- The store can fill the flower. Therefore, at the time when the buds are fading, the root system can completely rot.
But there is reasons for and against the transplant:
- Phalaenopsis are often bought with open buds. And at this time, it is necessary to change the flowerpot for the plant only as a last resort.
- Any transplant is always stressful for the culture. And if you add to it the stress due to adaptation, then problems with the development of the flower may begin.
How to proceed - to transplant or not? Orchids don't like being touched once more.... Therefore, if you see that everything is in order with the leaves and roots, it is better to refuse the transplant.
It is recommended to wait until bright green parts appear at the ends of the spines. This will indicate that the adaptation has passed.
But in the following situations, changing the pot is absolutely necessary:
- The capacity is too small it falls under the weight of the orchid, and there is practically no soil left, because the rhizomes have been displaced. The situation is especially dangerous when the roots come out of the flowerpot and entwine it. In this case, the flower will not fully receive water, and it will be problematic to untangle the lump from the roots without loss.
- Dry or rotting roots... In this case, you need to immediately change the soil and flowerpot for the plant. Remove all affected parts during transplantation. If buds bloom during this period, it is recommended to completely cut the peduncle.
Below is a video about a phalaenopsis transplant:
Step-by-step instructions: what to do next?
If you bought a Phalaenopsis orchid and do not know what to do next, carefully study the step-by-step instructions.
Despite the fact that phalaenopsis loves a lot of light, in the first 2-3 weeks it should be protected from bright lighting.
For this the flower is recommended to be placed near the window, but not on the windowsill. In this case, it is important to ensure that there are no drafts.
The most optimal place for an adapted plant is east and west windows. In the southern sun it will be scorching, and in the north it will be cool.
Creation of conditions for growing
As for the lighting after habituation, it should last at least 10 hours. It is recommended to use phytolamps if necessary. Regular lamps should not be used, as they heat up and can burn the plant. Maintain air humidity at 50% -60%. To maintain this level of humidity, place a container of water next to it or regularly wipe the sheet plates with a damp cloth.
Reference. The temperature in summer should be within the range of 29-32 degrees above zero, and in winter 15-18 degrees of heat is enough. At the same time, do not forget about the need for daily temperature drops. Fluctuations are 3-4 degrees.
Inspection of the plant and determination of its needs
The state of culture will tell you about its needs. For instance, if the roots are dry, they need to be moistened, but this should not be done abundantly. If the leaves become lethargic, do not rush to take emergency measures. Just create optimal conditions for the plant and wait 1.5-2 weeks. Most likely, after this time, the leaf plates will recover.
Remember that after purchasing phalaenopsis, you should not water it for the first week, or even all 10 days. This is because it is impossible to know the time of the last watering in the store. And in the case of an orchid, a short drought is better than a bay of roots. Subsequently, water for humidification is selected soft, settled, room temperature. Most often, the immersion method is chosen for watering. Keep the orchid in this state for 30 minutes.
Make sure that when the soil is moistened, water does not fall on the growth point. If this happens, wipe it off immediately with a dry cloth.
How to care for a plant from a flower shop?
If the culture is blooming or there are unopened buds on it, then it is better to put it in partial shade. Watering is carried out every 4-5 days. As soon as all the buds fall off, the peduncle is cut off, and the plant is transferred to a well-lit place. This reduces the frequency of watering. Top dressing should be applied only during the period of active growth (usually this happens in the spring).
Sometimes you do everything according to the rules, and the leaves and roots deteriorate. This is most likely due to waterlogging of the plant in the store. Never try to solve the problem with additional watering. It will only get worse.
An orchid with overdried soil will come to life after the first watering, but it is very difficult to save the flooded roots. In this case, the best option is to transplant the phalaenopsis into a new soil. In this case, the capacity can not be changed. Rinse it well with soap and dry it well.
Also, the mealybug and spider mite often attack the orchid. Pests are destroyed with insecticides.
Orchid is a delicate flower that undergoes a long adaptation after changing its habitat. Therefore, after buying a plant, carefully monitor its condition in order to give it the opportunity to develop further.